Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Boot Up Stalling at Verifying DMI Pool...Windows XP. YoYo Boot sector Virus??

I'm running XP Professional. My boot stalls at Verifying DMI Pool and then it says "Y鈭瀁鈭?quot; and doesn't boot further. Looks like a boot sector virus, and I can only see a handful of instances of others with this in a search of the web.



If I take this hard drive out and put a previous one in with another OS on it (XP, etc), will it boot up? Then if I can get it to boot, might I be able to scan the HD with XP on it and back up my files before wiping and reformatting and reinstalling XP? Or should I just try to do a repair on XP first?



My first time dealing with a boot sector virus in 7 years. I've always used Anti-viral products. If you can't throw money at this problem, why even bother with purchasing "protection?"... sorry last part is a rant, my original questions still are valid I hope!



Boot Up Stalling at Verifying DMI Pool...Windows XP. YoYo Boot sector Virus??viruses



On the off chance that it's NOT a virus, try putting the XP disk in the drive while you're booting. If it boots, you may have to edit the DMI.



I have this issue with one of my WIN2K machines, and short of spending a lot of time that I don't have right now figuring it out, I just leave the disk in the CDROM drive and it seems happy, although as I mentioned before, you probably going to have to edit the DMI.



Boot Up Stalling at Verifying DMI Pool...Windows XP. YoYo Boot sector Virus??antispam



I'm reachin', but I had one that'd hang at Welcome screen at final part of the set-up wizard in XP. Flashing BIOS fixed THAT problem. Perhaps it IS boot sector virus. Have you low-level formatted HDD? Some people even zero the drive too in case LLF didn't catch all the tables where a viruses lurk. Report It


if you can get to your BIOS, go to your boot order and make boot from cd first.



1 have widows cd in drive and hit boot from cd



2 when asked to repair or reinstall pick repair



3 when you come to command prompt type FIXBOOT then hit enter.



GL

No comments:

Post a Comment